THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE INSIGNIFICANT

Right now, we're doing the NEXT GENERATION PROJECT.  (It's a Capital Fund-Raising Campaign. Yes, I hate the sound of those words too.  Rates right up there with a visit to your friendly proctologist.)

Anyone who's done church work for more than a week knows you need a few BIG gifts.  That's a reality.  But, the majority of the provision will always come from lots of small gifts.  However, I think sometimes people don't get that.  They think, "I don't have a lot of money.  I could only give a little.  It really wouldn't make any real difference, so I'll just leave it to the folks with the big wallets".  This just amazes me.  I guess people just haven't read that Bible thing.  Or, maybe their pastor failed to teach it to them. (that would be me)

If that attitude was pervasive throughout the scriptures, my oh my, how different things would have been.  David would have said, "Dudes, all I've got is 5 small stones.  Have you seen the size of that Goliath dude? Five small stones?  Goliath?  Ain't happening!"

Or possibly out there in that crowd, after Jesus had finished speaking to the 5,000, some little guy would have said, "Uh, there's a hugemongous crowd here and I've got the lunch my mom packed for me!  Just little old me.  These two little fish and 5 small buns wouldn't even make a dent in this mess.  I'm gonna sneak on over the hill and chow down.  Good luck to the rest of you."

Whether it's 5 small buns or 5 small stones, God seems to do some of His best work with that which the world would consider insignificant.  When we take the insignificant and hand it over to God in faith and obedience, God does something significant with it.  If David or some unnamed young man had adopted this attitude,  the world would have been deprived of watching two of the greatest miracles in history.

If you're a Christ-follower, your whole life is an ever-present example of such.  He took you.  He took me.  Insignificant as we are, He took our ordinary, messed-up lives and has done, and will continue to do, significant things...eternal things... with whatever we make available to Him.

Simply put, there are no insignificant gifts once they are given to God.  Not when they're given in faith and trust and expectation.  And, certainly not, when they're given sacrificially.


God takes the INSIGNIFICANT and makes it SIGNIFICANT.  End of story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHOULD JOHN KELLY APOLOGIZE?

CHRISTIANS DON'T KEEP COMPANY WITH SINNERS

BUNNIES, BOUNCING & BAIT