THE POPE COMES TO AMERICA

   
I've read innumerable posts and been asked more questions than I can remember about the Pope's visit to America.  Two things have been surprising to me:

1.  How much media coverage has been allocated to his visit.  It seems that every show on television has been preempted at some point for coverage of the pope doing something.  Landing his plane, shaking the president's hand, riding in his Pope-mobile.  Everything he does is a major breaking story.
2.  How everybody...I mean everybody, has an opinion on his visit.  Some think it's the greatest event in their lifetime.  Other's are less impressed, but still put a really positive spin on it because it draws attention to Christianity, even if it doesn't happen to be their particular brand of Christianity.  Kind of the "all publicity is good publicity" mentality.

   
So, what's my take on this papal visit to America?  OK, I'll play along.  Here's some random takes:

*I like this guy.  Let's face it, as pope's go, he hasn't had much competition.  His predecessors haven't been the most likable guys.  Popes? Yes.  Personalities? Not so much.  Saying a lot of good things, getting rid of those ridiculous red shoes (brilliant), leaving the palace for a hotel room, acting like a real approachable person...all brilliant moves.  He's likable.  He's human.  As the single most visible representative of the Catholic Church, he has brought positive attention to Catholicism.  That's a good thing.

*He's talked a lot about grace and mercy and forgiveness and reconciliation.  I'm encouraged by that.

*He has the guts to stand for politically incorrect issues.  He stands up and says abortion is wrong.  He believes in the dignity and sanctity of every life.  Some of my protestant brothers could learn a thing from him.  He believes in the sanctity of marriage.  Preach it, pope!

*For those who think he's brought great attention to Christianity, well, that's a matter of opinion.  In his mind he is doing that very thing, because, as the leader of the Catholic Church, he believes that Catholicism and Christianity are synonymous.  In other words, that outside the Catholic Church, there is no Christianity.  So, he's here bringing attention to Catholicism, not Christianity in general.

*I do like that his visit is bringing attention to the Church, and there may be some reciprocal effects that come to all of Christianity.  But, it's hard for me to get excited about a guy coming who thinks when I die I'm going to hell.  As the pope, he totes the party line of Catholicism, which believes that there is no salvation outside the Catholic Church.  If you were raised a Catholic and you decided you would rather be a Baptist or a Methodist or a Non-Denominational Christian....sorry, you left your Christianity behind when you left the Catholic Church.  That's not one of the places you can find faith in Christ.  It's the ONLY place!  I just can't get excited about a guy coming and addressing Congress that believes I'm going to Hell when I die.  Call me picky, but I just can't.  In fact, I actually think he got it wrong.  And...if he got that wrong, what else has he gotten wrong?

*Oh, and if you use or have ever used contraception, your salvation is in question as well.

*Yet, when he speaks ex cathedra...he speaks for God.  His words have equal authority to the Word of God, the Bible.  How do you speak for God AND get things wrong?

*Unlike him, I don't think he's going to hell when he dies.  I don't know.  But, I'm not writing him off because he doesn't wear the same brand as I do.

*Maybe I'm just jealous of the TV coverage he gets.  Who knows.  I am a little ticked that he keeps preempting the things I'm trying to watch.

Is there good that can come out of this?  Absolutely.  Is it all good?  I think not.  If you're listening to him as a man who loves God and has some personal opinions...Great!  Feel free to agree or disagree.  If you're listening a man who speaks for Christ, Christians and the Christian Church...not so much.

I'd say to him, "Welcome to America, brother.  We're glad to have you!"

Comments

  1. I total agree, I was born a Catholic and some people judge me for changing my religion, but I see a lot of things wrong, with the faith of a Catholic, I can't judge, so I believe they can't judge me... Pastor Tom, since I went to ur church and met the people there, I feel at peace and at home, I thank u, for not judging... God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. I total agree, I was born a Catholic and some people judge me for changing my religion, but I see a lot of things wrong, with the faith of a Catholic, I can't judge, so I believe they can't judge me... Pastor Tom, since I went to ur church and met the people there, I feel at peace and at home, I thank u, for not judging... God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good comments..I agree with and actually am thankful for the Catholic Church's stand on the sancitity of life. I have been member of SBC churches since 1973 when I come to faith in Christ and not until 1980 did the southern baptist even take a stand on abortion. My wife was 'born'(seems like) in a baptist church and until we went to a 'right to life' meeting at a Catholic Church, had we heard of the horrors of what legalizing abortion had wrought in our culture..But, on the biggest issue of Christianity-How one becomes a Christian? the Catholic Church has definitely got it wrong and in fact, found itself at odds with many who were members(Martin Luther,etc.) who dared to claim that scripture alone was the final authority and that through faith alone, in Christ Alone could salvation be found...I pray this pope and all 'practicing catholics' know or come to Christ through Faith Alone, not through some continous ritualistic works...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SHOULD JOHN KELLY APOLOGIZE?

CHRISTIANS DON'T KEEP COMPANY WITH SINNERS

BUNNIES, BOUNCING & BAIT