WHY DO WE DO THAT? Part 4

Q:  Why does Pastor Tom teach using a TV?

When we moved from our temporary facilities at Turner High School to our permanent location, I was asked if there was anything that I personally wanted addressed as far as Audio/Visual components went.  I truly believe that they assumed my answer would be "no".  They were surprised when I said, "Absolutely.  I want a large screen TV on a stand that I can use as a teaching tool!".

They asked the same question as many of you...WHY?  Great question!  Here's my answer...

As a communicator I strive to do a number of things all at the same time:
*Be relevant
*Engage the audience
*Be true to the text I am using
*Relate to the crowd
*Make eye contact
*Be as independent as possible from any notes and speak passionately from the heart

Over the years, I've spoken from behind a pulpit, from behind a Bible (with notes inside), from behind an iPad, etc.  You see the constant here?  Always "BEHIND" something.  Always something between myself and my audience.  People love to be "behind" something, whatever it is.  We feel safe and protected and less vulnerable when we're "behind" something, whatever it is.  Go to a party where you don't know anyone and you feel naked.  But, put a red Solo cup in your hand and everything changes.  However, there's also something always "between" you and your audience.  Large or small, you're separated.

The TV allows me to have nothing between myself and the audience I'm speaking to.  It allows me to "read along with you" rather than "reading at you".  It allows me to be less dependent on any type of notes and just speak from the heart.  My hope is, it allows me to be a better communicator.

Love it or hate it, that's my reasoning.  I love it (when it works), and I hope by understanding my reasoning for it, you will too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHOULD JOHN KELLY APOLOGIZE?

CHRISTIANS DON'T KEEP COMPANY WITH SINNERS

BUNNIES, BOUNCING & BAIT