IN THE END...IT KILLS US ALL

The other day I was with my family and my youngest son just wasn't himself.  I asked if he was feeling bad.  He just said he was tired.  No reason to be, just tired.  He wasn't himself.  He was quiet, withdrawn, never smiling, little response to anything.  We thought he might be sick.  But, I kept probing. (it's what I do)  Are you sick?  Are you worried about something?  Are you stressed?  He didn't think so, but then again he didn't know what stress felt like.

I remember those days.  I used to think stress was something other people had.  Mainly, I just didn't know what stress felt like.  That, and I didn't know that the source of stress wasn't from just negative stimuli.  We accumulate a certain amount of stress points for the death of a loved one or the birth of a child.  Stress can just as easily come from losing a job or from getting a new one.

Let's see:  He's about to start a new job, sign his first mortgage and buy a replacement for the car he has.  Stress, stress and stress.

No matter what the coroner says about us, we all die from stress.  Whatever gets us was stress-induced. Think of yourself as an egg and the world around you like two big hands, holding you.  Every time a major change comes in our life, those hands put a little more force into holding us a little tighter.  New job....squeeze.  Moving to a new city...squeeze.  Divorce...SQUEEZE.  Promotion...SQUEEZE!  Unexpected Root Canal...SQUEEZE!  Enough squeezing and your shell is gonna crack.  And, trust me, that's a mess.  BEEN THERE. DONE THAT.  GOT THE T-SHIRT AND THE SCARS.

So...what's the answer?  Here's God's prescription: "Don't worry about anything.  Just pray about everything.  Tell God your needs and don't forget to thank Him for His answers".  Yes, I'm aware it's easier said than done.  But, if God asks us to do it...then it's doable.

1.  Recognize that every change brings stress...victories as well as defeats
2.  Acknowledge them
3.  Rather than internalizing them, pray about them
4.  Prayer is the spiritual exercise for your soul and mind.  Physical exercise is for the body.  Get
     moving.
5.  Understand this is waging war on your mind and body.  Take it seriously.  But don't worry about
     worrying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHOULD JOHN KELLY APOLOGIZE?

CHRISTIANS DON'T KEEP COMPANY WITH SINNERS

BUNNIES, BOUNCING & BAIT