IT'S GOOD NOT TO BE KING

I remember a great quote from Mel Brooks in the movie, History of the World, Part 1.  After doing whatever he wanted with absolutely no checks and balances, he simply stated, "It's good to be King!".  I guess it would be.  Have everything you want and do everything you want, with no impunity.  Sweet gig.  You don't always do the right thing...but, whatever you do is the right thing, for one simple reason...you're the King!  Sweet gig.

I look at it another way.  I guess my mantra would be, "It's good not to be king!".  I met yesterday morning with the staff.  We discussed what we were doing, what we need to be doing and what we better be doing better or even different.  We agreed and disagreed and challenged one another...sometimes liking it and sometimes, not so much.

Then, later, I met with my Executive Staff.  I heard about things I did well, things I should have done better and choices I could/should make that would be better for the church and for me.

Last night, I spent several hours with the Elders of our church.  I heard...this is good, this is great, this...not so good, this could be better.  I heard "Yes" and I heard "No", and I heard "Maybe, but not now".

In every venue, it was made clear that I was the leader.  All wanted me to lead.  All honored my leadership and affirmed my leadership and followed my leadership.  But, at the same time, it was clear that I was not the King.  I don't want to be King.  I want to be Pastor.  That's where God has called me. That's where I'm most usable to Him.  It's also where I'm most comfortable.

Being King might be a lot of fun, but there's a lot of pressure to being King.  I like having people in my like who exist and have the freedom to say "No".  To say, "Not now, that's good, unwise decision, more of that, less of this".  

It's good not to be King!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHOULD JOHN KELLY APOLOGIZE?

CHRISTIANS DON'T KEEP COMPANY WITH SINNERS

BUNNIES, BOUNCING & BAIT