IGNORANCE IS BLISS, BUT...

They say "Ignorance is bliss".  OK, I'm not sure who they are...but they say it, and some people believe it.  In some ways it's true.  As long as you are totally ignorant of a situation, how bad it is, how much you can do about it, what Jesus would do, and, therefore, what a true follower of His would do, etc....it's sooo much easier.  The SEE NO EVIL, HEAR NO EVIL, SPEAK NO EVIL mode of living has its benefits.  Ignorance is definitely easier.  You get to concentrate on YOU, YOURS, MINE & OURS.  You're not bothered by all those problems of somebody else out there in the world.  You can tuck yourself away in Suburbia and your greatest causes of concern are big things like Property Taxes, whether your kid makes the football team or the dance squad and how your 401K is doing in these trying economic times.  Yep, it's tough, but we get through somehow.

Then, you go and blow it.  You venture out of the bubble...out of Suburbia...out of the First World...into the Third World.  And, you find there is a whole different world out there.  In the Third World there are none of your First World problems.  No one is comparing school districts...there's no public education system.  No one is looking at floor plans...one room is still one room no matter how many times you look at it.  They're not wondering what to cook for dinner....they're wondering if there will be dinner.  None of our First World problems even exist for these people.  They would love to have our problems.  Never in their life will they have to choose between the Ford or the Toyota.  But, they may have to choose whether to watch their child die or give it away.

Suddenly, where to go for dinner isn't as important as it was a week ago.  Ignorance was bliss.  But, now it's gone.  I've seen with my eyes.  I've felt with my hands.  Some of the unknown, unseen ice on my heart has started to thaw.  I can't undo what's been done.  I am RUINED.  It is not possible for me to do nothing.  I am the same, yet I am different.

We can't fix it...that is true.  But, we can do something.  We can make a difference.  I must.  We must.  We will.  

As the t-shirt I picked up says, I have a LOVE HAITI RELATIONSHIP.

Comments

  1. Awesome! I was telling my 13 year old about the posssibility of serving in Haiti and she said "mom, I want to go!" Warms my heart! We are ready!
    Amy Wimberly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SHOULD JOHN KELLY APOLOGIZE?

BUNNIES, BOUNCING & BAIT

CHRISTIANS DON'T KEEP COMPANY WITH SINNERS