THE "TO-DON'T" LIST

I'm a list guy.  Right now if you were to look in the notes section of my iPhone, you'd see a collection of lists.  There's the WEEKEND list (all the things that I should accomplish the following weekend).  There's the STAFF MEETING list (things to cover with my staff).  Goals for 2013.  My measurements.  Message Series.  Systems.  Church Goals.  Home Goals.  Personal Goals.  Other lists I'm not sure what to entitle.  Are you getting the picture?  I LIKE LISTS!

Well, this year I'm adding one more list...The "TO-DON'T" List.  Most of my lists, although varied, fall under the heading of things "TO-DO".  I'm convinced, however, for me to have any chance of achieving my growing lists of things to do, there needs to be a corresponding list of things I need to quit doing.  One problem:  I've found this list to be, by far, the most difficult list I've ever had to make.

Why?  Several reasons:

1.  I think too highly of myself.  I feel like the things I do, can and should be done by me and me alone.  I think thats more of a self-image issue than anything.  You have to be pretty comfortable in your own skin to let things go to somebody else.  It doesn't lessen your importance or necessity.

2.  I fear disappointing anyone.  I know that if I stop doing anything that I have done in the past, I will surely disappoint someone.  Someone will misunderstand.  Someone will misinterpret.  Someone will be unhappy.  Someone will judge me wrongly.

3.  I am, by nature, (sin nature, for sure), a people-pleaser (as opposed to a God-pleaser).  Those two things are counterintuitive.  If you are one, you cannot be the other.  You have to pick ONE,  and stay with it.

4.  It involves change.  Say what you like, no one really likes change, especially in their personal lives.  It stretches you, makes you think, creates discomfort and makes you think before you act.  And it's true, the older you get, the harder it becomes.

Does any of this resonate with you?  Then maybe you need a "TO-DON'T" List as well.  WARNING: It can be painful and challenging, and easier to write than to carry through on.  But, according to Jim Collins, it's one of the requirements to move our lives from pursuing GOOD to targeting GREAT.

And so, a new motto is born....JUST DON'T DO IT!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHOULD JOHN KELLY APOLOGIZE?

BUNNIES, BOUNCING & BAIT

CHRISTIANS DON'T KEEP COMPANY WITH SINNERS