CLOSE, BUT NO CIGAR

     Were you like me?  Did you perch yourself in front of the television and await, with anticipation, hope and extreme trepidation the Texans now-annual attempt at greatness.  Hey, this is not a bash-the-Texans exercise in catharsis.  I got my gear.  I root loud and strong.  I remember 2 years ago, and 3 years ago, and 4 years ago, etc., etc., etc.  I know what it's like to wish the season would just mercifully end, and I know what it's like to go to the play-offs...and I'll take the play-offs any day.  Great job, guys.
     There are so many differences between the two teams that played yesterday.  Coaching, play-off experience, schemes, home-field, ....we could go on and on.  But, bottom-line, the most glaring difference between those two teams boiled down to who was standing behind the center.  Who was the on-field general.  Who was directing the team.  Who was making the mid-course corrections.  Who was pulling the trigger.  Who was making the plays.
     1.  This is not a love-fest for Tom Brady.  He's the guy I love to hate.  I believe he's sold his soul to
          the devil.  No other explanation.
     2.  I'm not writing to vent and jump on the band-wagon of Schaub haters.  I believe he has obvious
          limitations, but I still remember where we have come from.  Compared to all former Texan QBs,
          all-hail Matt Schaub.
     3.  This is not a blog about football.  If you don't like football, you probably haven't made it this far
          to read this part, but at least I wrote it as further proof for later, when someone will say I talk  
          about football too much.
     My point is this, the NFL is, for the most part, a Quarterback-driven league.  The Colts were pathetic last year, drafted Andrew Luck and became a play-off team.  The Redskins  were almost as bad, drafted RG3, and did the same.
     Bottom-Line:  Although many variables exist, who's leading the offense on the field really matters.
     It's the same in life.  If, indeed, a team is only as good as its Quarterback, then we might confer that any team is only as good as its leader.  Your church will be as strong as the guy leading it. (Ouch!)  Your family will be as strong as its Spiritual Leader. (not to be sexist here, but if there's a dad, you better step up, dude!).  If you're a leader at your company, your company will rise and fall on your leadership.
     I cheered my heart out for my Texans, but in my head, I knew the most likely outcome.  Why?  Because as much as it gnaws at my gut to say it, their General is better than our General.  And that makes ALL the difference.
     Where are you the General?  What are you the General of?  And, are you giving your troops the confidence that success is possible...imminent?  Or are they just showing up and hoping?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHOULD JOHN KELLY APOLOGIZE?

CHRISTIANS DON'T KEEP COMPANY WITH SINNERS

BUNNIES, BOUNCING & BAIT