ARRIVAL ANNIVERSARY

58 years ago today I made my arrival on Planet Earth.  Very little pomp and circumstance was associated with that event.  Hopefully, even less will be today.  However, my entry was not without some drama.  (I'm sure that comes as quite a shock to many)  My mom was a single woman from St. Louis.  In 1955, if you were single and pregnant, it was certainly not something to be celebrated.  In fact, there was a great deal of shame and disappointment associated with such a predicament.  Although abortions were illegal at the time, they were still readily available.  However, my mom chose to "go away", to save herself and her family the embarrassment and ridicule that accompanied such an indictment of her morality.

For some reason, unknown to me, she ended up in the Houston/Galveston area.  Her intention was to give birth, place the child for adoption, and, I suppose, head back to St. Louis like nothing had ever happened.  On January 10, 1955, I showed up.  Nine days later my adoptive parents took me home.  I became an Allen.

My dad was from Missouri (quite the coincidence) and my mom was from East Texas, only to land in Houston.  Dad was about 5'7'' and mom was 4'11".  Who knew I'd sprout up to 6'2".  Needless to say, we made quite the trio.  They loved each other, loved me and taught me about Jesus.  They were the tools God had foreordained to make me the man I am and prepare me for the calling he had on my life.

People ask me, from time to time, "Why would God keep a woman from having a child, who wants one so desperately, while at the same time allowing women to get pregnant who don't want or need a child".  I tell them they just answered their own question.  That way, every child born into this world is a "WANTED" child.  There are unwanted pregnancies, but no unwanted children.  There are pregnancies that are "mistakes", but no children that fall into that category.  So that every child born into this world can be wanted, desired and loved, it requires some empty arms and empty wombs.  I, personally, am eternally grateful for the empty arms and empty womb of my mother.  Although it seemed a curse to her, I'm sure, it was the greatest blessing imaginable to me.
Because one lady from St. Louis let me be born and one lady in Houston had a place in her heart for me, I get to celebrate  58 years, one wife, 4 kids, (actually 7 with my additions by marriage...I consider them my kids too) and soon-to-be 6 grandkids.

God knew me before I was even conceived...loved me...had plans for me...and today I celebrate those plans.  To God be the glory, great things He has done!

Comments

  1. I am so glad your biological mom chose life! I am very passionate about teaching women about their options as well as facilitating abortion healing classes at a local Crisis Pregnancy Center!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SHOULD JOHN KELLY APOLOGIZE?

BUNNIES, BOUNCING & BAIT

CHRISTIANS DON'T KEEP COMPANY WITH SINNERS