T MINUS 30 AND COUNTING

We're just 30 days away from a brand new year.  Seems like just when you get used to writing 2012, they go and change it to 2013.  Very inconvenient.  Very problematic.  Often confusing.

Why is that important enough to mention?  Because everyone (I use that term generously) will be making resolutions about how they're going to do better in the new year than in this one.  Funny part of that is, we know it.  We know it's coming.  It's as though we've got this reprieve, this temporary pardon from the governor, this get-out-of-jail-free card that allows us to do whatever we want now, because we know that day is coming when everything is going to change.  So for now, we just eat, drink and be merry, because in 30 days all the fun is going to come to a magical and mysterious end.

I guess my question is, If we know these things are important to our lives, why don't we just do them now?  Yeah, I know that's not the way it works...but why?  I know I'm not supposed to ask why, but why am I not supposed to ask why?  If I know I need to lose 30 pounds, then why am I deciding to make that a resolution in January and trying like a big dog to put on 30 more during December?  If I want to start reading my Bible daily in January, wouldn't it be a great idea to start reading it in December?  Really, it couldn't hurt...could it?

I know this isn't how it works, whatever it is.  I know I'm talking crazy, totally out of my mind, completely bucking the system...but, hey, it's what I do.

Why does doing the right thing need to be postponed?  That's my question.  I met with each of my staff members yesterday for end-of-year evaluations.  They were responsible to bring me their goals for 2013.  I just started wondering, "Wouldn't it be cool to start getting after it right now?  Cheat the system.  Get a head start.  Have 13 months to complete a 12 month project."  Sounds like cake.  I'm thinking maybe the best day to start anything is today, whatever day today happens to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHOULD JOHN KELLY APOLOGIZE?

CHRISTIANS DON'T KEEP COMPANY WITH SINNERS

BUNNIES, BOUNCING & BAIT