LITTLE BIG THINGS

Recently, I missed someone.  Well, not just someone...a family.  It's difficult for me to tell you everyone  who is in attendance on any given Sunday, much less who is missing. (Sorry, if you miss a Sunday and I don't notice, please don't take it personally)  But, I had missed these folks, so I emailed them and they politely answered and told me they felt the Lord had lead them to another church.  I've learned to just accept those things.  I can't change them.  Don't have to like them...but, I'm not called to talk people into coming to my church.  In fact, I really don't want anyone there that doesn't want to be there...except lost people.

Yesterday, I got an email saying, "I think we found what we're looking for.  We'll see you Sunday".  I have to admit, that made me smile.  That made my heart happy.  That gave me joy.  Why?  Because the church is a family, and when any part of the family is missing, it should hurt a little.  And when any of the family gets back in the family, it should be a time to rejoice.

Now, I've got a couple of thousand people to be concerned about.  What difference does a couple more make?  If I don't care, it really doesn't make much difference at all.  If I do care, it makes a big difference.

I see some flaws in the American Church:

*We talk about it like it's a family, because the scripture says it is, but as soon as they don't sing the songs we like or take communion too often or too seldom or not the right way, we're outta there and on to the next family we adopt ourselves into

*We say the church is family, but when someone leaves, often no one goes looking for them.  If one of my kids disappeared, I assure you I'd be looking.  Their face would be on a milk carton.  I'd get every friend I have to help me look.

*The church is a family, according to scripture.  However, that's not the only analogy.  It's also a body. Every functional body has a digestive system.  BOTTOM LINE: Stuff comes in...stuff goes out.  Nature calls that HEALTH.  Must be true in the church as well.  Some will come and some will go and sometimes that's a good thing...a necessary thing.

But, for today, a part of the family is back in the family...and my heart is happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHOULD JOHN KELLY APOLOGIZE?

CHRISTIANS DON'T KEEP COMPANY WITH SINNERS

BUNNIES, BOUNCING & BAIT