THE PART OF MINISTRY I HATE THE MOST

I LOVE what I do.  I love being a pastor.  I love pastoring Crosspoint Church.  I walked into my Bank the other day and the guy behind the counter said, "Mr. Allen, I've never seen you in a bad mood".  (He obviously hasn't seen me that much)  But, my answer to him was, "Dude, I'm living the dream.  I've got a great wife, great kids and awesome grandkids, and I pastor the most awesome church imaginable...and they pay me to do it!  Why shouldn't I be smiling!".  

I love what I do.  Well, most of it.  Some comes natural.  Some skills I've had to work hard at.  But, even after 32 years of pastoring, I'm still learning.  Learning my strengths and weaknesses.  Learning what comes natural and what I have to work the hardest on.  Learning what I love and what I hate.

So, I know what you're asking...What do you hate the most?  Well, it might surprise you.  It's not the hours, (I know, you think I only work one day a week.  How can I say this in a politically correct way...that's STUPID!).  It's not the people, even the ones that get mad and leave or the ones that do the same lame things over and over and over and...  It's not the study, the preaching, the planning, the meetings, the meetings or the meetings.

Reality is, the part I hate the most is funding the ministry.  Jesus talked about money more than any other topic.  However, we have a tendency to do exactly the opposite.  Why?  Part of that comes from the extremes that television evangelists went to in previous decades.  Another component is the "prosperity gospel" taught by so many churches that basically says that if you give to God He'll give you a Mercedes.  Then there's the aspect that most people want you to talk about how to have a great family, marriage, kids, job, happiness, relationships, etc....but don't mess with my money.  And, to round it all out, I have two degrees, one form Baylor university and one from Southwestern Seminary.  Neither of them equipped me to balance a checkbook, much less lead a $million company.  So, there's the "I'm totally incompetent" component as well.

BOTTOM LINE:  Ministry takes money.  Ministry takes generous, committed individuals.  What I've found is the following:
1.  Income has little to do with giving.  It's not those who make the most who give the most, or those who make the least who give the least.
2.  Giving has more to do with vision and discipleship than income.
3.  Giving is a matter of discipleship and spiritual maturity rather than one of disposable income.
4.  There is a link between giving and satisfaction with church, family and life.  Those who give most generously tend to have the least complaints about life in general.  When you see God's plan for your finances, you seem to see God's plan for the rest of your life.  And...the opposite is true as well.

Not a GIVER?  Not GENEROUS?  Check your satisfaction level.  There's a connection...I assure you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHOULD JOHN KELLY APOLOGIZE?

CHRISTIANS DON'T KEEP COMPANY WITH SINNERS

BUNNIES, BOUNCING & BAIT