TECHNOLOGY...THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY

Read my blog yesterday?  Nope.  It didn't happen.  Reason?  Technical difficulties.  My device jungle now includes an iPad.  I was simply going to write my blog from it.  Nope again.  I couldn't figure it out. (this is not earth-shattering).  When I sought help from my 20-something technobots who know everything, they had problems as well.  (much to my delight)  So, let's talk about technology.  I know we've broached the subject before, but it seems in the Allen household I'm feeling a technological explosion...or implosion...I'm not quite certain.

Got the new iPad (don't have iPad envy), and my goal, because all my Bible-reading is done on some electronic device, is to begin using it whenever I speak.  I'm sure there will be some kick-back ("Shouldn't a preacher hold a Bible when he preaches?!  I mean really, that can't be biblical preaching if he doesn't even have a Bible!!!!!)  Problem is, the Bible is not a leather-bound book with onion-skin paper.  The Bible is the Words of God...whatever form they may take.  We need to get over our leather fetish.  Cows will appreciate that, trust me.

Susan has become a committed Tweaton (she's on Twitter) and found her Facebook account (that's another story).  The iPhone 5 is out (woo hoo!) and I'm qualified for an upgrade.  And I can do this and do that and....my head is spinning.  And we're rolling out the electronic version of the Listening Sheet this weekend for your Smart phone.  Then there's the Crosspoint App that's coming.  (Yes, there's an app for that).

So, my question is where does it all end?  Is it good?  Is it bad?  Is it just technology?  I see great opportunities with the expansion of technology.  For instance, I write this blog every morning (OK, almost every morning) and it heads out over Twitter and Facebook to many of you.  Oftentimes you retweet it or share it on your Facebook page or email it to others, etc.  That's good.  Technology can be good.

But, with the good, we have to be aware and on guard for the bad.

1.  Technology can be addictive.  Like alcohol, drugs, sex, food...anything, technology can be addictive.  When it starts to control you rather than vice-versa, it's a problem.  Worst part of that is, you'll probably be the last person to know it.
2.  Technology is not the answer for everything.  In fact, just the opposite.  Emails, although good, are not replacements for conversations.  It's very easy to text or email rather than calling or talking face-to-face.  Technology must never be allowed to replace the human element.
3.  Technology is always urgent.  It dings or buzzes or makes some disgusting sound to announce itself.  It screams, "Pay attention to me now!  Drop what you're doing and give me your undivided attention!" Nothing breaks my heart more than when Susan and I go on a date to some restaurant and see a couple with their smartphones out conversing with folks other than the one important one sitting right in front of them.  DUMB!  There should be times when technology is off-limits.
4.  Technology makes sin even more accessible.  I remember the Adult Book Store on the freeway near where I used to pastor.  (Wonder if they had any books in there?)  I always wanted to stop and just start writing down license plate numbers.  No idea what I'd have done with them...just sounded like fun.  Well, here's the problem, everything (almost) that you could find in that place is available right on your laptop or smartphone.  Technology has become a sin delivery system...if you want it to be.

Understand me, technology is neither good nor bad.  But, as one of my professors once said, "Every bad thing is a good thing perverted".  That's pretty profound.  Our sin nature enables us to turn anything...ANYTHING...into something evil.  Be careful.  "Be very careful then, how you live-not as unwise, but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil."  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHOULD JOHN KELLY APOLOGIZE?

BUNNIES, BOUNCING & BAIT

CHRISTIANS DON'T KEEP COMPANY WITH SINNERS