SWING CORRECTION

I played golf yesterday.  Poorly.  Not surprisingly, but poorly.  I met a new guy named Bill.  Great golfer.  Better guy.  Bill's probably my age, or even a little older, but, wow, could this guy hit a golf ball.  We'd played about 16 holes and he'd watched me shank every drive straight right.  That's when he said, "I could fix that".  Two things went through my mind: 1) I doubt it, & 2) If you really can, what have you been waiting for.  My response was, "Knock yourself out, big boy!"

Bill said, "It's real simple".  Whenever someone says "It's real simple", I immediately know this may be a lot of things, but simple isn't one of them.  He said, "Just kind of sit down in your swing, cock your hips and swing through".  Oh, that it were so easy to correct  ineptitude.  So, I tried my best to do exactly what he told me (with very low expectations, I might add).  SHAZAM!  Blasted that sucker right down the middle past every other ball.  I crushed that thing.  I felt like Bubba Watson (only right-handed).  I looked at Bill.  All he said was, "See.  Told ya."

Who in their wildest dreams thought that one little correction could make such a difference?  Well, besides Bill?

I think God's Word is our Swing Corrector.  It's filled with practical, relevant corrections for our life, that if we would just listen and follow, would change us for the better.  Like I did with Bill, I thought, "This feels really weird...really uncomfortable".  But that's because I'd done it wrong so long, that wrong felt "righter" than right.  That's the way it is in our lives.

"Love your enemies"seems weird.  "Walk by faith and not by sight" feels really strange.  "Don't worry about anything, instead pray about everything" is unbelievably awkward...but they work.  You have to decide if you want to keep doing what feels comfortable and get awful results or opt to do what God says, awkward as it may feel, and experience the results of doing it His way.

Did I mention we shot a 54?  Just braggin'.  Still lost by 7 strokes.  Golfers?!?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHOULD JOHN KELLY APOLOGIZE?

CHRISTIANS DON'T KEEP COMPANY WITH SINNERS

BACK TO NORMAL