CHICK-FIL-A & GAY

The Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day was unbelievable.  In case you've been living under a rock and don't know what all the hullabaloo is about, it all started when CEO Dan Cathy responded to a question posed to him that his company was opposed to same-sex marriage.  Of course, that set off a firestorm of response.  Apparently, in our hypocritically politically-correct society, if you disagree with someone, that means you hate them.  The hypocrisy comes from the fact that if someone is opposed to same-sex marriage, they are automatically placed in the category of hating all gay people.  However, it doesn't work both ways.  If you disagree with that point of view, and openly and emphatically make that point publicly, you aren't accused of being a hater of Christians.  You're just considered tolerant.  Hmmm...

Here's a couple of things to consider:

1.  As believers, we sometimes put homosexuality into a higher, more reprehensible category of sin.  Many christians have been guilty of hating gay people.  Somehow their sin is worse than ours.  It gets put in a whole different category.  Few of us even know a gay person, much less have taken the time to have a conversation with them, much less love them.  Jesus would love them.  Sure, he'd tell them, "Go and sin no more", but he would love them.

2.  We have to refuse to get sucked into the hype that is political correctness.  It is hypocritical, incorrect, intolerant and illogical.  "If you disagree with my point of view, you're a hater.  If I disagree with you're point of view, I'm just open-minded, tolerant and more morally evolved than you."  That's trash.  Don't buy it.

3.  You can refuse to be willing to change your definition of marriage without being a homophobe.  I do not hate gay people.  I love them.  I don't like their lifestyle, but I love them.  However, I am unwilling to redefine marriage to accommodate any particular group.  Unwillingness to redefine marriage does not equal hate.  Marriage is for one woman and one man for one lifetime.  Period.  God defined it.  It's not my place to change it.

If we change it to include two men or two women, what's next?  How about multiple women or multiple men?  You OK with that?  How about one man and one child?  You say, "That's stupid!".  Well, not according to the Man-Boy Love Association.  How about one man and one animal?  You OK with that too?  Come on folks, if you're going to be tolerant, you can't pick and choose who/how/what you want to be tolerant with.  If you're open-minded and morally evolved, then you better open it up a little wider and evolve a little further.

BOTTOM LINE: I can be unwilling to redefine marriage without hating anyone.  Only a hateful moron would think otherwise.

Comments

  1. Best commentary I have seen on this topic bar-none. Thanks for the great words and explanation.

    Wes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll start by saying I don't attend your church (have visited a few times); I live in NW Houston. I just came across this blog because a family member re-posted it on Facebook.

    I think your blog is well written and valid. I particularly like your points on Jesus, acceptance, and love. I firmly believe as Christ followers it is our duty to love all, teach them the word, and allow them to learn and let the Holy Spirit move in them to make the changes they should make. It is not our place to condone nor condemn anyone's lifestyles (especially since as you pointed out... none are without sin).

    The piece of your argument I disagree with is the comparison of the desires of two consenting adults to the "issues" of allowing marriage between an adult and a child or an adult and an animal. While I agree with your point of God's definition of marriage, I find that comparing it to these other two issues is unfair. There's a major segway to move from the desires of two consenting adults towards an adult forcing a child or animal who cannot (either due to maturity or capability) grasp the concept of marriage nor make an informed to decision to enter into one.

    I've always found this argument as a way to try and pull non-believers into our side of the argument by making gay marriage seem absurd by much more extreme moral standards since they won't simply by that it's not what God wants for our lives.

    Just my two cents... well written piece and thanks for the dialogue, I will look forward to our next visit to your church the next time we're in the area!

    God bless... Eric

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SHOULD JOHN KELLY APOLOGIZE?

CHRISTIANS DON'T KEEP COMPANY WITH SINNERS

BUNNIES, BOUNCING & BAIT