BODY TALK

This past Sunday, I had the opportunity of leading another STARTING POINT 101 Class. I get to talk about our church...where it came from, how it operates, and how you can become involved.  One thing I stress is that the church is a BODY.  One thing about a BODY is that its made up of many parts, all of which need to function for maximum health.  In a local church that means EVERYONE SERVES.  EVERYONE DOES SOMETHING.  EVERYONE USES THEIR GIFTS.

Oftentimes we choose default areas of service based on gender.  EXAMPLE: "I'm a woman...I guess I could work with babies or serve coffee."  "I'm a guy...I guess I could tear down things or work in the parking lot."  Sound familiar?  Those are fine choices, but maybe we need to skip the default and look outside our gender-induced assumptions.

ROCK THE ROLES
What if guys thought, "I think I'll work with kids...can't stand 'em, but what the heck."  Then what would happen is a lot of little boys, some with no male role models would discover that this Christian stuff is for guys and not just girls, girls and more girls!"

What if women thought, "I think I'll work in the parking lot...maybe drive that golf cart."  Then when a single mom with three kids rolls up and sees another female face motoring toward her, she'll feel like this person probably understands better than anyone what she's going through right then and there.  Big relief.

When you think ministry (and you should), think outside your gender box.  You could rock somebody's world!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHOULD JOHN KELLY APOLOGIZE?

CHRISTIANS DON'T KEEP COMPANY WITH SINNERS

BUNNIES, BOUNCING & BAIT