ISOLATION OR INSULATION?

I would rather my children die following God's will, than live rejecting His will.
To some that will sound rather harsh and heartless. Nothing could further from the truth. As parents, our role initially, is the protection of our children. "Don't touch that." "Don't run with the scissors in your hands." Don't put that in your mouth. You don't know where that's been!" "Don't play in the street." "Don't hang around with those kids." "Don't drive so fast!" "Don't...Don't...Don't!" "Please be careful!"
So, since it seems like our entire function as a parent has been to prtect our children from harm, is there a point where we release them to God to hear his voice for themselves and follow His will for their lives? If this wasn't confusing enough, God seemingly muddies up the waters by telling us things like, "Without faith, it is possible to please Me". Impossible. Big word.
Our words to our kids are "Be careful. Be safe. Don't take any unnecessary risks." You'd think God would have our backs, but no. Here he comes with this faith stuff. Faith is all about risk. It's totally and completely risky business oriented. Thanks a load, God.
So, how do we sync protecting our kids with God's requirement of faith on their part? I think we have to do several things:

1. We check our motives. Many times we, as parents, say something like, "Please be careful. I don't know what I would do if something happened to you." That's revealing. Oftentimes our children's protection, although important, is more about us than them. In all honesty, we're saying "I don't want anything to happen to you because of what it would do to me." Ouch! Sometimes this honesty stuff sucks!

2. We check our methods. Someone has suggested there are two ways to protect our kids. Isolation and Insulation. One is based on just keeping our kids away from any possibility of anything bad. The latter is more difficult, but much more practical. It places the child in the world, while teaching him how not to become part of the world. Rather than removing every possible bad choice and source of pain, it teaches the chiuld how to deal with possible bad choices and entrusts the child to the protection of a Heavenly Father.

3. We check our faith. Bottom line, do we trust our kids, or our spose or even ourselves to the care of our Heavenly Father? Can He really be trusted?

Let me share the words of a great song by a great man of God, Keith Green:

Well, I pledge my head to heaven for the gospel,
And i ask no man on earth to fill my needs.
Like the sparrow up above, I am enveloped in His love,
And I trust Him, like those little ones He feeds.

Well, I pledge my wife to heaven for the gospel,
Though our love each passing day just seems to grow.
As I told her when we wed, I'd surely rather be found dead,
Than to love her more than the one who saved my soul.

Well, I pledge my son to heaven for the gospel,
Though he's kicked and beaten, ridiculed and scorned.
I will teach him to rejoice, and lift a thankful praising voice,
And be like Him who bore the nails and crown of thorns.

Well, I pledge my son, I pledge my wife, I pledge my head to heaven.
I pledge my son, I pledge my wife, I pledge my head to heaven for the gospel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHOULD JOHN KELLY APOLOGIZE?

BUNNIES, BOUNCING & BAIT

CHRISTIANS DON'T KEEP COMPANY WITH SINNERS