WHO ARE YOU?

OK, so I'm a child of the 70's and 80's. Grew up with the Stones, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull and the like. (this explains much, right?) Add to that list The Who. I can still hear Roger Daltrey belting out, Who are you...who, who, who who? (CSI fans may just think that was their theme song. Long before the show was....IT WAS!) Actually, it's not only a pretty good song, it's also an amazing and necessary question. Who are you?

This past Sunday, I told my people that I believe one of the greatest challenges that the Church faces today is an IDENTITY CRISIS. We simply don't have a clue who we are. I say that based on many factors, but none more prominent than almost 40 years of simply talking to and counseling Christians. I've talked to thousands of Christians over the years who see themselves as incompetent, incapable of anything significant, as damaged goods, victims of their pasts and unworthy of God's love, acceptance and calling.

Yet, God's Word says exactly the opposite. It says we are loved with an everlasting love that nothing can change. He calls us His child, His masterpiece, His beloved, His Bride. He says we are members of a royal generation, a holy priesthood and that we are a people for God's own possession. How in the world do we reconcile our insecurities with the overwhelming security that God says we possess...permanently? That NOTHING can touch?

As I write these words, I think I want to introduce you to one more song. Yes, it's a song from the past. Most of you have never heard of it or of its author. Let me introduce you to Keith Green and "When I Hear the Praises Start".

My son, my son, why are you striving?
You can't add one thing to what's been done for you.
I did it all while I was dying.
Rest in your faith, my peace will come to you.

My child, my child, why are you weeping?
You will not have to wait forever.
That day and that hour is in my keeping.
The day i'll bring you into Heaven.

My precious Bride, the day is nearing
When I'll take you in my arms and hold you.
I know there are so many things that you've been hearing,
But, you just hold on to what I have told you.

For when I hear the praises start
I want to rain upon you,
Blessings that will fill your heart.
I see no stain upon you,
Because you are my child and you know me, 
To me you're only holy.
Nothing that you've done remains,
Only what you do for Me.

My encouragement: When the enemy begins to lie (you can tell he's lying...his lips are moving), just LET THE PRAISES START!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHOULD JOHN KELLY APOLOGIZE?

BUNNIES, BOUNCING & BAIT

CHRISTIANS DON'T KEEP COMPANY WITH SINNERS