WHY DO WE DO THAT? Part 3

Q:  Why did we quit doing the welcome in our services...the part where everyone shakes everyone's hands around them?

A:  I'm like you.  I like shaking hands.  I like welcoming people.  I like saying "Good morning", "Welcome", "Glad to have you".

Sometime back I attended another church of a different ilk than ours.  At one point the guy in charge told everyone to welcome everyone around them.  It was, for me, the most awkward and uncomfortable moment of the entire experience.  These people had been sitting around me for the last 30 minutes and hadn't even acknowledged my existence.  Now, because someone publicly told them they had to, they did.  AWK...WARD!

I think that's exactly how guests feel when they get greeted on command.  There are basically two kinds of guests who visit our church:
     1.  The INCOGNITO GUEST.  They want to slip in and slip out without unduly being noticed or
                                                         fawned over.  Some remember the old days of church when guests
                                                         were made to STAND UP so someone could bring them a Visitor
                                                         Card, complete with a peel-off, stick-on lapel rose so everyone
                                                         would notice then, they'd stick out like a sore thumb, and
                                                         it would be apparent to everyone that they were different and
                                                         didn't actually BELONG here.

     2.  The I WANT TO SEE JUST HOW FRIENDLY YOU REALLY ARE GUEST.
                                                        These folk give no points for being welcomed on command.  They
                                                        have an internal scoring system that tallies up the number of folks
                                                        that somehow recognize they are new, approach them, introduce
                                                        themselves, and tell them how great it is to have them there.  If
                                                        they feel they were inadequately greeted and made to feel
                                                        welcome, they usually note that in response to my email I send to
                                                        them.  Usually with, "No one spoke to me".  "I felt unwelcome".

So, how do we handle both groups at the same time.  Here's our strategy:
1.  They are directed and welcomed in the parking lot at least once, sometimes twice (if they ride the cart)
2.  They are welcomed by an outside Greeter as they approach the building
3.  They are greeted by a Lobby Greeter once inside and given any directions they might need
4.  They are greeted at the Check-In if they have children
5.  They are greeted at the auditorium doors and handed a program when they enter
6.  They are greeted inside the auditorium by our ushers

OUR GOAL:  That every guest to Crosspoint Church receive 7 touches (verbal, physical,
                         emotional, etc.) before they leave.

OK, so I only counted 6 at best.  How do we get the 7th?  That's where you come in.  We're counting on you to say "Hello" to everyone you see.  I know what you're thinking, "But, I don't know who are guests and who are members".  Me neither.  So, I just try to speak to everyone.  "Hello, how are you?" works fine for either.  "I'm not sure if I've met you" is a good one.  "Hi, I'm _____________" is great as well.

BOTTOM LINE:  They all beat "Now shake hands and make to feel welcome all those around you whom you've ignored up to this point".  

I think BEING a friendly church actually trumps ACTING like a friendly church every time.  Now, YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO COMMENCE WELCOMING FOLKS.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHOULD JOHN KELLY APOLOGIZE?

CHRISTIANS DON'T KEEP COMPANY WITH SINNERS

BUNNIES, BOUNCING & BAIT