FIVE THINGS

Yesterday, I talked about 5 things that God uses to build your faith.  In case you missed, or dozed off, let me recap:
1.  Practical Teaching
2.  Private Disciplines
3.  Personal Ministry
4.  Providential Relationships
5.  Pivotal Circumstances

I'm interested.  Which one of these 5 has God used to grow your faith?  For me, as I look back over the last 40 years or so, I can see examples of all 5 that jump out at me at a particular juncture of my life where God drilled down deep in me through one of these.

As a Junior High student, I built relationships that have challenged and changed me to this very day.  As a young pastor, I traveled to the Yucatan jungles on a church-planting adventure where I was challenged to do ministry way outside my comfort zone.  I remember my first pastorate.  I thought I knew pretty much everything a pastor should know.  But, I sat glued to the radio for 30 minutes every morning listening to every word that Chuck Swindoll had to say.  I began my introduction to practical teaching, as the Word of God became alive for me like never before.  Later, I attended a conference where this young guy from California spoke.  Never heard of him.  But, this guy named Warren introduced me to ways of taking the idea of practical teaching to a whole new level.

Then there was Dr. Gray, my Missiology professor.  I assumed Missiology was all about missions.  Well, he wanted it to be more and it was.  He challenged us to pray for an hour each morning.  I thought I'd been praying for an hour...only to find it was actually, 15 minutes.  But, I learned the importance of private disciplines from him.

As far as pivotal circumstances go, there are too many to recount, but the one that stands out the most was a motorcycle accident I had.  Life Flight and the whole 9 yards.  I see more and more how God used that incident to change me and light a fire under me and in me.

I wonder one more thing:  Which of these 5 is God using RIGHT NOW to grow your faith?  Can you name it?  If not, today's a good day to figure it out.

Comments

  1. "Right Now", God is using pivotal circumstances, to change me, and my family. We have had some VERY dramatic, and faith trying, issues arise. Through them all, there has been a thread of God asking, "Do you trust me, or not?" and "If so, how much?".

    No Life Flight, but over 45 years of riding, I have had a few motorcycle related hospital visits, myself! The more I learn to acknowledge God's providence in "all things", the more critical prayer has become in my pre-ride preparation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SHOULD JOHN KELLY APOLOGIZE?

CHRISTIANS DON'T KEEP COMPANY WITH SINNERS

BUNNIES, BOUNCING & BAIT