REST

Read any good Bible lately?  Notice what a big deal God's Word makes out of the concept of REST?  It's a BIG DEAL.  The whole book starts off with God creating the cosmos in 6 days and then resting. REALLY?  Was He worn out?  Did He...the God of the universe, who never sleeps, need a nap?  I'm thinking ...NO.  

So, what's the big deal with with all this rest business?  Yes, our bodies need rest...sleep, a nap here or there, a little R&R.  But, I think God's talking about that, but so much more than that.  I sleep every day, but I'm not sure I rest.  When God talks about the absolute necessity of rest, I believe He's talking about taking off MENTALLY & SPIRITUALLY.  

Today, I'm playing golf.  That could be rest.  However, if I'm preoccupied all the time with what I need to get done and how that message is going to go on Sunday and my credit score and how my retirement account is doing and why I have this little pain in my whatever that isn't all that bad, but just won't go away and if my wife had other plans for my day than this golf outing and why that person wrote me the nasty note last week and............  You get the picture.  Not REST.

REST happens when I put things in God's hands and turn off the worry and wonder and what-if machine and just exist in the moment.  It's when I totally get away from the cares of life and just live.

REST for you may be curling up with a good book, or taking that needed nap (without remorse) or feeding the homeless or whatever...but, it's not so much a matter of where you are or what you're doing as it is a state of mind.  REST is the opposite of STRESS.  And God knew we needed it.

So, REST.  That's an order!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHOULD JOHN KELLY APOLOGIZE?

CHRISTIANS DON'T KEEP COMPANY WITH SINNERS

BUNNIES, BOUNCING & BAIT