I LIKE CACTUS

Not everyone knows that.  If you look in my backyard, you'll find that half of it is a desert. Sand and rocks and...cactus.  I get a bad rap for it too.  "Cactus around a pool?  What were you thinking?".  Well, one thing I was thinking was if you're in my pool you should stay there and stay off my sand.  The other thing I was thinking is that's it my yard, I like cactus, live with it.  If you don't like it, swim in your bath tub.  But, I digress.

When most people think of cactus they think of one thing and one thing only...needles.  They miss the beauty of these amazing plants.  Most see needles, spines and pain.  I see some of the most beautiful blooms imaginable.  Yes, most cactus bloom.  Beautiful blooms.  But, they have lived in some of the most desolate areas of the world, so they have developed defense mechanisms that say, "Don't come too close, or you'll be sorry!"

There are a lot of cacti in the world.  I'm not talking about the horticultural varieties now.  I'm talking about the people variety.  So many people have lives of great beauty, but, for whatever reason, they have developed a defense system that says, "Come too close, and you'll be sorry!"  We've all suffered the pain of rejection, hurt, abuse, unfair treatment, etc.  But, the difference is, some move on from it and others develop a self-protection system that says, "Ignore the beauty...just pay attention to the thorns!"

I love cactus, but, I don't want to be one.  And, I don't want you to either.  Drop the needles.  Put away the thorns.  Lay down the spines.  Let the beauty of your life be approachable.  It's a dangerous world out there, but life's too short to be known for your needles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHOULD JOHN KELLY APOLOGIZE?

CHRISTIANS DON'T KEEP COMPANY WITH SINNERS

BUNNIES, BOUNCING & BAIT