WHAT DO YOU WANT THEM TO BE WHEN THEY GROW UP?

I went to Oklahoma this weekend. It was my grandson's first birthday. Boy, do I feel like a dinosaur. They DO NOT do kids birthdays like they used to. Our kids got cake and ice cream, a few kids and a few presents. Now days (that even sounds old), it's a major production that takes 6 months and 6 months salary to carry off. I think if we planned a week, we thought we were doing good.
And who knew a Birthday Party had to have a theme. I thought Birthday Party was a theme. Dinosaur talk.
But, to my relevant topic. I was with my two oldest sons and their families. I thought about how only a few short years ago it was them in the high chair eating cake and getting it all over their faces. I wondered, even then, what they'd be when they grew up. A doctor? A lawyer? A policeman? I hoped they would choose well and be happy, but never wondered whether they would be rich when they grew up. That really never mattered. I just wanted them to be happy, to fulfill their God-given purpose on the earth and love Him with all their hearts. Wealth or the lack of it really didn't factor into the equation.
But, as I sat back and observed, I realized I had raised two young men who turned out to be unbelievably wealthy at a very young point in life.
I'm not basing this on the Barum & Bailey Birthday Party. No, I just stood back and observed for the weekend. Both of them have beautiful wives who, in spite of their shortcomings, love them unconditionally. In case that's not enough, they both have kids who practically worship them. God is honored in their homes and His Word is recognized as His Word.
That's WEALTH. That's TRUE RICHNESS. When they were little, I wondered what they'd be when they grew up. Who knew they'd be rich?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHOULD JOHN KELLY APOLOGIZE?

BUNNIES, BOUNCING & BAIT

CHRISTIANS DON'T KEEP COMPANY WITH SINNERS